I know there are a few million recipes for making Chili and this is my quick and easy version.
Black Beans - 1 16oz. can (Rinsed and drained)
Refried beans - 3 tbsp
Vegetable Buillon cube (low-sodium) - 1
Tomato sauce - 2 tbsp
Crushed tomatoes - 4tbsp
Onion - 1 medium chopped
Jalapeno pepper - 1, seeded and chopped
Garlic - 2 cloves
Cumin powder - 1tsp
Chili powder - 1tsp
Salt and Pepper - to taste
- Heat 1tbsp olive oil in a pan, add onions, jalapeno and garlic and saute till the onions are transparent.
- Add the rinsed black beans, refried beans and vegetable buillon cube and 1/2 cup of water. Cook for 5 minutes on medium flame.
- Add the tomatoes, cumin & chili powders, salt and mix well. Add about 1 cup of water (you can add either more or less depending on your liking).
- Cook for about 15minutes or till the Chili comes to the consistency you like.
- Adjust seasoning and serve hot.
This can be served over Yellow spanish rice, white rice, baked potato, nachos...... Using refried beans makes the chili thicker (you can completely omit this). This chili can be made with any kind of beans - red kidney, pinto.....
This is my entry for Revathi's FMR "Comfort foods".