I made a very simple dish that has lot of chilies mixed with nutty fried toor dal. This dish can be put together in no time and is paired with dishes that are made with tamarind to soothe the heat from the chilies.
Toor Dal - 1 cup
Red Chilies - 10-12
Jeera (cumin seeds) - 1tsp
Garlic - 2 pods
Oil - 1 tsp
Salt - to taste
- Dry roast the dal along with the chilies, till dal turns golden brown and gives out the nutty aroma
- Let the mixture cool down completely.
- Grind the mixture with water (Do not add too much water, add little at a time. We dont want a watery chutney).
- Add jeera and salt, pulse to combine.
- Heat oil in a small pan. Add chopped garlic and fry on low flame till garlic is golden brown.
- Add fried garlic into the chutney and mix well.
- Serve with white rice and ghee.