Eggplants - 1 medium or 4 small
Red onion - 1 chopped
Green Chilies - 4
Tamarind - 2tbsp
Jaggery - 1tbsp
Chana Dal - 1tsp
Urad dal - 1tsp
Mustard seeds - 1/2 tsp
Jeera - 1/2tsp
Dry red Chilies - 2
Curry leaves - 4
- Roast the eggplants either on stove top (if you have a gas stove) or in the oven at 400F.
- While the eggplants are roasting, heat 1tbsp of oil in a pan, add the tempering ingredients. After the mustard seeds and jeera splutter, add onions and green chilies fry till golden brown. Remove from heat.
- After the eggplant are roasted, leave them aside till they are cool enough to handle.
- Remove the skins and roughly smash the flesh with a fork.
- Add tamarind paste, jaggery, salt and the onion mixture. Mix well and serve.