Its that time again for Jihva for Ingredients (JFI) and this time its being hosted by Rosie of What's the recipe today Jim? The ingredient for this month is Ginger.
My entry for the event is "Potato Rosti and Tofu with fresh Tomato and Ginger Sauce", thats a long name.. isn't it?? It also has various components, but it is not difficult to make and the finished results is well worth the effort. Make sure that the tofu is marinated for atleast one hour to allow it to absorb the flavors of ginger, garlic and tamari. (Recipe is from my 'The Greatest Ever Vegetarian Cookbook' edited by Nichola Graimes.)
Extra Firm Tofu - 1 14oz. package, cut into 1cm/ 1/2" cubes
Potatoes - 4, large, peeled
For the Marinade:
Tamari or dark soy sauce - 2 tbsp
Fresh Ginger - 11/2" piece, grated
Clear honey - 1 tbsp
Garlic cloves - 2, crushed
Toasted Sesame oil - 1 tsp
For the sauce:
Olive oil - 1 tbsp
Tomatoes - 8, halved, seeded and chopped
- Mix together all the marinade ingredients in a shallow dish and add the tofu. Spoon the marinade over the tofu and leave to marinate in the refrigerator for at least 1 hour. Turn the tofu occasionally in the marinade to allow the flavors to infuse.
- To make the rosti, par boil the potatoes for 10-15 minutes until almost tender. When cool, coarsely grate and season well.
- Take a quarter of the potato mixture in your hands at a time and form into rough cakes.
- Heat a frying pan with just enough oil to cover the base. Place the cakes in the frying pan and cook for about 6 minutes on each side until nice and golden.
- Preheat oven to 400F.
- Using a slotted spoon, remove the tofu from the marinade and reserve the marinade. Spread out the tofu on a baking tray and bake for 20 minutes, turning occasionally, until golden and crispy.
- Meanwhile make the sauce. Heat 1 tbsp of olive oil in a saucepan, add the reserved marinade and the tomatoes and cook for 2 minutes, stirring. Reduce the heat and simmer, covered, for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the tomatoes break down.
- To serve, place a rosti, scatter the tofu on top, spoon over the tomato sauce and enjoy!!!!