Simple to make and full of nutrients, this dish is great for week day dinner and tastes even better for next lunch. Cabbage is usually used in Chinese fried rice, but I have never tried using it in Indian style rice. It turned out pretty good and as I said tasted even better in the lunch box.
Basmati Rice – 2 cups, cooked
Shredded Cabbage – 1½ cups
Carrots – 2 medium, diced
Frozen Peas – ½ cup, thawed
Onion – 1 medium
Green chilies – 4
Curry leaves – 6
Peanuts – ¼ cup
Cashews – 3tbsp
Red chili powder – ½ tsp
Sambar powder – 2 tsp (I used MTR sambar powder)
Lemon juice – 1 to 2 tbsp, depending on how tangy you want (I used juice of 1½ lemons)
Cilantro – 3 tbsp, chopped fine
Mustard Seeds – 1 tsp
Turmeric – ½ tsp
Salt – to taste
- Cook basmati rice with ½ tsp of oil. Let it cool completely (spreading on a large platter would help, but not necessary).
- Heat 1 tbsp of oil in a large pan, add mustard seeds and after they splutter, add onions, green chilies and curry leaves. Sauté till onions are translucent, but not browned.
- Add the cabbage and carrots, cover and cook on medium heat till the veggies are cooked through, about 8-10 minutes.
- Stir in the peas, turmeric, salt, sambar and red chili powder. Cook uncovered on medium high heat till any water in the veggies is evaporated.
- While the veggies are cooking, heat 1 tsp of oil in a small pan and fry the peanuts and cashews till lightly browned. Remove and keep aside.
- To the rice, add turmeric, cabbage mixture, fried peanuts and cashews, lemon juice, cilantro and mix gently.