What do I do when I have to cook for myself and all that I have in the fridge is some left over pasta and some lonely veggies. The best part about cooking for myself is I don’t have to worry if my DH is going to like it or not. So I went with my whim and I made myself a big bowl of mixed vegetable pasta.
Cooked pasta – 1 cup (I used whole wheat penne rigate)
Onion – 1 medium
Carrot – 1 large
Green pepper – 1 medium
Zucchini – 2 medium
Corn kernels – ½ cup (I used frozen corn)
Tomato – 1 medium
Lemon juice – 1tbsp
Red pepper flakes – 1tsp
Garlic powder – ½ tsp
Herbe de provence (or Italian seasoning) – 1 tsp
Salt & Pepper – to taste
- Dice all the veggies to approximately the same size.
- Heat 2tsp olive oil in a large pan on medium heat, add onions, carrots and green peppers and sauté for 8-10 minutes or until the veggies are slightly tender.
- Add zucchini and corn and cook for another 5 minutes.
- Add tomatoes, red pepper flakes, garlic powder and herbs. Cover and cook until tomatoes are tender but not mushy, about 3 minutes.
- Toss pasta with the veggies, season with salt and pepper and let the pasta heat through for 5 more minutes.
- Remove from heat, add lemon juice, mix well and serve hot with generous sprinkle of parmesan cheese.