The cake is extremely easy to make, no creaming of eggs and butter, folding in flour etc.. nothing fancy at all. Just mix all the dry ingredients and wet ingredients separately and whisk them together to combine. Easy as making a pie (oh.. I never made a pie and I don’t think its that easy.. well that’s another story). It can be veganized by adding with soymilk and vinegar instead of buttermilk (Put 1tbsp vinegar in a measuring cup and add soymilk to the 1-cup line.)
Recipe adapted from Vegetarian Times magazine.
All-Purpose flour – 1½ cups
Sugar – ½ cup (or more)
Unsweetened cocoa powder – 1/3 cup
Baking soda – 1tsp
Salt – ¼ tsp
Low-fat buttermilk – 1 cup
Mashed Banana – ¾ cup
Vanilla extract – 2 tsp
Canola Oil – 1/3 cup
- Pre-heat oven to 350°F. Coat 9- x 5-inch loaf pan, 3 6- x 3-inch miniloaf pans, or 12-cup muffin tin with cooking spray.
- Whisk flour, cocoa, baking soda and salt in a large bowl. Whisk sugar, buttermilk, banana, vanilla, oil in a separate bowl.
- Fold buttermilk mixture into flour mixture.
- Scoop the mixture into the prepared pans. Bake large loaf 50 to 60 minutes, miniloaves 35 to 45 minutes, or muffins 18 to 22 minutes, or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Cool 5 minutes in pan(s). Unmold, and cool.