My in-laws are visiting us from India and we are having a great time eating yummy snacks and food for the past 2 weeks. My MIL made these puris, they are similar to baturas but much faster to make.
Maida (All purpose flour) – 1 cup
Sooji (semolina) – ¼ cup
Salt – pinch
Oil – 3tbsp
- Mix maida, sooji and salt in a large bowl and make a well in the center.
- Add warm oil to the well, slowly mix in the flour. Add water as needed and make firm dough (thicker than chapathi dough). Cover and set aside for 10-15minutes.
- Roll out into 4”-5” diameter puris. Deep fry until golden and remove onto paper towels to absorb excess oil. Serve hot with any curry.
Potatoes – 3, medium, chopped into bite size pieces
Onion – 1 medium, roughly chopped
Green chilies – 4 medium
Coconut milk – ½ cup
Coriander leaves – ½ cup
Mint leaves - 1/4 cup
Ginger – 1”piece
Garlic – 2 cloves
Yogurt - 2tbsp
Salt - to taste
- Grind onions, chilies, ginger, garlic, coriander and mint into a smooth paste.
- Add 1tbsp oil in a pressure cooker, add the onion paste and sauté till slightly golden. Add potato, sauté for 5 minutes. Add coconut milk, yogurt, salt and 1cup water. Cover and cook for 2 whistles. Serve with puris.