For this month's Indian Cooking Challenge (ICC), Srivalli chose this super yummy Moong dal Halwa, recipe courtesy Simran's mom. I started to drool the minute I read the recipe and wanted to make it asap. But the little one hot sick and then passed some germs on to me, so couldn't make it until the last minute.
So on Sankranthi day and with a partially impaired ear (due to infection), I finally made it. I'm sooooo happy with how it turned out. Simran's mom's recipe was perfect and it tasted awesome. I poured the halwa onto a lightly greased plate and when cool enough to handle, cut into squares. My son loved them too.
Here's the recipe from Valli:
Split Moong dal - 1/2 cup
Khowa - 1/4 cup
Sugar - 1/2 cup
Ghee - 1/4 cup
Cashews & Raisins - for garnish
- Lightly roast moong dal and soak in water overnight. In the morning, grind dal with little water to make a smooth paste.
- In a heavy bottom pan; melt ghee and add the paste. Cook until dal turns slightly brownish and ghee starts to separate.
- Next add khowa and sugar and cook until sugar is melted and everything is completely incorporated.
- Once the mixture starts to pull away from the sides, remove onto a lightly greased plate and smooth the top with a spoon.
- When cool enough to handle, cut into squares and enjoy...