I have been MIA for so long that I have nothing in my drafts to post and I have no clue where to start or end. But when I saw that Vegan Mofo is going to be in November this year, I signed up right away (now.. don’t ask me what I was smoking when I did that, with no post on the blog for almost 20 days I must be crazy to sign up for something where I have to post at least once every 2 days). I thought I could get into the groove of keeping the blog active. Let’s see how I’m going to fair. There is no method to my madness, I mean I don’t have a specific plan on what to cook (like a Julie & Julia project) or what to post. But I’m thinking of to at least try to make something new AND take pictures AND post every day.
So to those of you who don’t know about Vegan Mofo, it’s a blog event where you post anything and everything about vegan food for one whole month. This is the 4th year for Vegan Mofo and this will be my 3rd time participating.
I’m going to kick off the event with these healthy Almond-Quinoa Muffins. Recipe is from Veganomicon by Isa Chandra & Terry Romero.
Soy milk – 1 cup
Ground Flaxseeds – 1tbsp
Canola Oil – ¼ cup
Agave nectar (or Pure Maple Syrup) – ¼ cup
Vanilla Extract – ½ tsp
Whole wheat Pastry flour (Or All-Purpose flour) – 1¼ cups
Almond meal/ flour – ¼ cup
Cooked quinoa – 1¼ cups (I used a combo of white & red quinoa)
Baking powder – 1½ tsp
Baking Soda – ½ tsp
Cinnamon – ½ tsp
Chopped Raisins (or dried apricots or currants) – ½ cup
- Preheat oven to 350°F and lightly grease a non-stick 12 cup muffin tin.
- In a medium size bowl, whisk together soy milk and ground flaxseed. Allow to rest for 1 minute, then whisk in oil, agave nectar and vanilla.
- In a large mixing bowl, sift together flour, almond meal, baking soda, baking powder, salt and spices.
- Add the wet ingredients to dry ingredients and mix until just incorporated. Gently fold in cooked quinoa and raisins and mix until lump free.
- Pour into the prepared pan and bake for 20 to 22 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the muffin comes out clean.
Have them for breakfast or as a late afternoon snack, they are yummy and also healthy. Enjoy!!