It has been a long time since I took part in Nicole’s Taste & Create event and decided to sign up when Min @ Bad Girl's Kitchen asked for participants. For this month I got paired with Corina @ Searching for Spice.
Corina has a ton of great dishes from all over the world, but I narrowed down to these spicy and yummy looking Cheese scones with chili kick. I added some finely chopped green onions and used jack cheese with veggies. Also to make them a little healthy, I added some whole wheat pastry flour as well.
Here’s Corina’s original recipe. I converted the weigh measures to cup measures.
Here’s how I made these:
All purpose flour – 1 cup
Whole wheat flour - ½ cup
Baking powder – 2¼tsp
Salt – 3/4tsp
Cold Butter – 3tbsp, cut into cubes
Cheese – ¾ cup, grated (I used jack cheese, but Corina's original recipe called for cheddar)
Milk – 100ml
Scallions/ Green onions - 3tbsp, from about 3 scallions
Dried Thyme – 1tsp
Red Chili flakes – 1tsp
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Sift flour, baking powder and salt in a small bowl.
- Add the cold butter to flour and using a pastry cutter or your fingers, work the butter into the flour until it looks like breadcrumbs. Slowly add milk and mix the ingredients until it forms dough.
- Turn the dough out onto a flour sprinkled surface and knead for 1 minute.
- Pat the dough into a rectangle that is about 1” thick. You can either cut out circles or other shapes, but I simply cut the dough into 8 equal rectangles.
- Transfer onto a greased baking sheet. Bake in the preheated oven for about 15 minutes or until the scones are golden.
- Let cool for 5 minutes before serving.
These scones are very easy to put together and tastes great with a cup of soup.