Finally we had our first Snow of the season this weekend. Not that I was missing the snow, but I get a little paranoid when weather is not normal for a season, it makes me think of global warming and it's extreme effects. Well for now, I can be rest assured that real winter is here and will probably be here for sometime.
For this month's Taste & Create, being hosted by Min of Bad Girl's Kitchen, I got paired with Veena @ Veg Nation. Veena blog has tons of delicious vegetarian dishes and I had quite a few bookmarked to try. But as always got busy with other things and was able to make 2 of dishes. One is this easy peasy Corn rice and the other one is the Spring onion Dal. I couldn't take pictures of dal since I made it on a weekday and had no time to take the pics.
Corn rice is a great one-pot dish that can be made in no time in a pressure cooker. My addition is a carrot to make the dish a little more colorful and tad bit healthy. Here's how I made it.
Basmati Rice - 1 cup
Corn kernels - ½ cup
Carrot - 1 medium, chopped
Onion - 1 medium, thinly sliced
Ginger + Garlic paste - 1tsp
Cinnamon stick - 1" piece
Cloves - 4
Bay leaves - 2
Garam Masala - 1tsp
Red chili powder - ½tsp
Cumin seeds - 1tsp
Lemon Juice - 2tbsp
Salt - to taste
- Rinse the rice and soak in water for at least 15minutes.
- Heat 2tbsp oil in a pressure cooker. Add cumin seeds, cinnamon stick, cloves and bay leaves. Once the seeds start to splutter, add onions and saute till they turn translucent.
- Add ginger + garlic paste and cook for another minute.
- Next add corn and carrots and saute for 2-3 minutes.
- Add red chili powder and garam masala and cook for a minute.
- Drain the rice and mix gently. Add 1½ cups of water, lemon juice and salt. Mix well, cover and cook for 2 whistles.
- Serve hot with a side of pickle, curry, dal or yogurt.