It has been a while that I posted any eggplant dishes on my blog, that doesn’t mean I haven’t been cooking with it. It’s just that I haven’t made anything new. This baingan bharta is not a new dish either, but I wanted to post it for veganmofo.
Active time involved in this dish is very little, baking/ roasting the eggplant itself takes the bulk of the time. With the temperatures hovering in lower 50’s, I thought this is the right time to fire up that oven. It took me about 1 hour to put the whole dish together from start to finish which is not bad for a weeknight dinner.
- Preheat oven to 425ºF. Lightly spray the eggplant halves with cooking spray, bake for 40-45minutes or until the eggplants are baked thoroughly; check with a fork, should be able to pierce through the skin easily.
- Around the 25 minute mark start working on the masala part of the dish; heat 1tbsp oil in a large pan; add onions, sauté till reddish brown.
- Add g+g paste and sauté for another minute. Add chopped tomatoes & the paste; cover and cook till they turn mushy.
- Add the powders and cook for another minute.
- Eggplant should be done by now, remove from oven and carefully peel the skin and mash the pulp with the back of a spoon.
- Add the pulp to the tomato mixture along with ½ to 1 cup of water. Season with salt and simmer for 5 minutes, so that all the flavors get a chance to mingle. Serve with roti or rice.