Blogging Marathon# 37: Week 2/ Day 1
Theme: Kid's Delight -- Oven Baked Snacks
Dish: Bread Sticks
We begin our 2nd week of Blogging Marathon today and my theme for this week is 'Kid's Delight -- Baked Treats'. This month's Kid's delight host PJ @ Seduce your tastebuds wants us to send in kid approved baked dishes. So I have 3 recipes for this week that are approved by my little ones.
First up are Oven baked Bread Sticks. We love the soft bread sticks served at Olive Garden and I was looking for a recipe to make them for a while. When I saw this recipe in King Arthur's catalog, I baked them right away. Even though they are not as soft as the Olive Garden version, they taste great when served warm with some marinara sauce.
The original recipe makes 3 dozen bread sticks but I halved the recipe. I also added some wholewheat flour (atta) to make them a little healthy. Recipe is super simple to make and I'm sure they will be devoured by both by kids and adults alike.
I'm giving the full recipe as written in the catalog.
- Lightly grease a baking sheet and drizzle 1~2tbsp olive oil on it.
- Combine all the ingredients except the pizza seasoning in the bowl of a stand mixer or a mixing bowl; beat at high speed for 60 seconds.
- Scoop the batter into the prepared pan, spreading it nearly to the edges.
- Use a pizza wheel or a sharp knife to score the dough in ¾"~1" wide crosswise strips, to make 13" long strips. Score the dough once lengthwise, so that you have 6½" long strips.
- Cover the pan and set aside at room temperature to rise for 60 minutes or until puffy.
- Preheat the oven to 375°F. Drizzle the dough with olive oil and sprinkle the pizza seasoning.
- Bake the bread until it's very light golden brown, about 25 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and place it on a rack. As soon as it is cool enough to handle, cut the dough along the score lines.
- Place the bread sticks back on the baking pan, on edge; you can put them close together. Return them to the oven, and bake for another 5~10 minutes, depending on how soft/ crisp you like your bread sticks.
- Remove from the oven and serve warm or at room temperature.