Brown Rice Bowl with Tofu and Veggies
Blogging Marathon# 61: Week 2/ Day 2
Theme: Meal Ideas
Dish: Brown Rice Bowl
Recipe is from 'Americas's Test Kitchen':
Brown Rice Bowl with Tofu & Veggies
For the Dressing:
For Crispy Tofu:
- Cook Rice: Bring brown rice and 2~2½cups of water to a boil. Lower the heat and simmer covered for 25~30 minutes or until rice is tender. Let rice stand for 5~10 minutes.
- Make the Dressing: In the meantime, bring rice vinegar, mirin and sugar to a boil in a small saucepan, then remove from heat.
- Add 3tbsp of the vinegar mixture to the rice and mix well. Allow to cool, about 20 minutes.
- In the remaining vinegar mixture, add ¼tsp each of orange and lime zests, 2tsp each of orange and lime juices. Reserve this dressing for serving.
- Prepare Tofu: Cut the tofu into ¾" thick slabs, then slice each slab into fingers.
- Whisk cornstarch, cornmeal, salt and pepper in a shallow dish. Working with a few pieces at a time, coat tofu thoroughly with cornstarch mixture, pressing to help it adhere.
- Heat 1tbsp oil in a large nonstick pan over medium-high heat. Add the coated tofu and cook until crisp and lightly golden on all sides, about 10~12 minutes.
- Divide the rice evenly between 4 serving bowls and sprinkle with crumbled nori.
- Top with tofu, radishes, avocado and cucumber.
- Sprinkle with thinly sliced scallions and drizzle with reserved dressing.