- Cook basmati rice with ½ tsp of oil. Let it cool completely (spreading on a large platter would help, but not necessary).
- Heat 1 tbsp of oil in a large pan, add mustard seeds and after they splutter, add onions, green chilies and curry leaves. Sauté till onions are translucent, but not browned.
- Add the cabbage and carrots, cover and cook on medium heat till the veggies are cooked through, about 8-10 minutes.
- Stir in the peas, turmeric, salt, sambar and red chili powder. Cook uncovered on medium high heat till any water in the veggies is evaporated.
- While the veggies are cooking, heat 1 tsp of oil in a small pan and fry the peanuts and cashews till lightly browned. Remove and keep aside.
- To the rice, add turmeric, cabbage mixture, fried peanuts and cashews, lemon juice, cilantro and mix gently.
- Adjust salt and serve with raita and papad.