Chocolate Yeast Bread for #BreadBakers
Recipe from David Lebovitz's recipe:
Chocolate Yeast Bread
- Bring a small saucepan of water to boil. Combine 3oz. chopped chocolate and butter in a bowl that fits over the saucepan (make sure that the bottom of the bowl doesn't touch the water -- basically you are creating a double boiler). Melt the butter and chocolate by stirring occasionally until the mixture is smooth. Remove from heat and let cool slightly.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer or a large bowl, whisk the yeast with warm milk, 1tbsp sugar and set aside for a few minutes. Then stir in the remaining sugar, espresso powder, egg replacer mixture (or the egg), vanilla and sea salt.
- Stir in half of the flour and cocoa powder, then the melted chocolate and butter mixture and stir until well incorporated. Next add the remaining flour mixture and knead for 5 minutes.
- The dough is quite sticky but comes together into a bowl. Place it in a lightly greased bowl. Cover and set aside to rise for 2~3 hours or until it looks quite puffy. My kitchen was quite cold and it took me about 3 hours to get to this stage. Start checking the progress from 11/2 hours just to make sure that it doesn't over-proof.
- Lightly grease a 8½"x4½" loaf pan.
- Stir in the chocolate chips and chopped nuts, if using. Using a spatula, fold the dough over itself in the bowl for about 30 seconds, then transfer it over to the buttered pan, pressing it down to spread to the corners. Cover with a greased plastic wrap and let rise for one hour.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Bake the bread for 35~40 minutes or until it sounds hollow when tapped on it. An instant-read thermometer should read 180°F in the center.
- Remove from the oven and after 5 minutes remove the bread from the pan onto a wire rack to cool completely before slicing.
Fellow BreadBakers and their Breads with Cocoa, Cacao or Carob in any form:
- Chocolate & Cherry Swirl Breads from The Bread She Bakes
- Chocolate Orange Swirl Buns from Mayuri's Jikoni
- Chocolate and Vanilla Brioche from Kidsandchic
- Chocolate Banana Quick Bread from Basic N Delicious
- Chocolate Buttermilk Quick Bread from Cindy's Recipes and Writings
- Chocolate Cinnamon Rolls from A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Chocolate Filled Bundt Bread from Food Lust People Love
- Chocolate Hazelnut Banana Bread from Hezzi-D's Books and Cooks
- Chocolate Monkey Bread from Sara's Tasty Buds
- Chocolate Peanut Butter Chip Quick Bread from Magnolia Days
- Chocolate Peanut Butter Cinnamon Rolls from From Gate to Plate
- Chocolate Yeast Bread from Cook's Hideout
- Croatian Povitica - Chocolate Walnut Swirl Bread from Herbivore Cucina
- Dark Chocolate Cherry Pocket Bread from Karen's Kitchen Stories
- Dark Chocolate Chip Hot Cross Buns from Baking in Pyjamas
- Double Chocolate Espresso Scones from Wholistic Woman
- Double Chocolate Zucchini Bread from Sizzling Tastebuds
- Egg Free 45 Minutes Chocolate Buns from Gayathri's Cook Spot
- Eggless Chocolate Babka from I Camp in my Kitchen
- Eggless Chocolate Swirl Buns from Seduce Your Tastebuds
- Eggless Triple Chocolate Scones from Spill the Spices
- Four-Chocolate Sour Cream Quickbread from What Smells So Good?
- Leopard Print Bread from Spiceroots
- Pain Au Chocolat (Chocolate filled Croissants) from G'Gina's Kitchenette
- Pane Al Cioccolato - Chocolate Bread from Ruchik Randhap
- Petits Pain au Chocolat - Mini Chocolate Croissant from Sneha's Recipe
- Sourdough Cacao Sweet Bread from The Schizo Chef
- Sweet Russian Chocolate Braid from Hostess At Heart
- Two Chocolates Greek Yogurt Banana Bread from La cocina de Aisha
#BreadBakers is a group of bread loving bakers who get together once a month to bake bread with a common ingredient or theme. Follow our Pinterest board right here. Links are also updated each month on this home page.
We take turns hosting each month and choosing the theme/ingredient.
If you are a food blogger and would like to join us, just send Stacy an email with your blog URL to [email protected].