Cuban Breakfast Tostada and Cafe con Leche
Buffet on Table: Breakfasts across Countries
Day 20: Cuban Breakfast Tostada and Cafe con Leche
Cuban breakfast consists of a platter of scrambled eggs and bacon, usually with potatoes or a bowl of fruit with papayas and mangoes. The tostada can be served on the side or can be served all by itself.
Even though the name sounds like 'toasted', the bread in the Cuban tostada is actually grilled until nice and crispy with butter. The sandwich is then dipped in the coffee or milk and eaten.
- Split the loaf horizontally. Close the halves and butter the outside on both sides. Place it on a hot nonstick or cast-iron skillet or a sandwich press or panini grill.
- If using a skillet, put some weight on the sandwich (I use a foil wrapped brick or a heavy can or cast iron skillet) and cook till the bottom is crispy and toasty, about 2 minutes. Flip and repeat for another 1~2 minutes. Serve with Cafe con leche. Enjoy!!
Cafe con Leche:
Cubans love their coffee and make it in a special way. I'm not a coffee person, but I am willing to try it out once in a while. This Coffee with milk and sugar sounded just the way I like to drink my coffee. I followed the recipe from here. I made this Cuban coffee for myself and liked how frothy and sweet the coffee tasted. I have to make it for my coffee loving husband some time.
Recipe from here:
Caffe Con Leche
- You will need a percolator or other similar device to make the coffee concentrate (called decoction in India). Pack the percolator with coffee. Then fill the tank with about 1cup of water. Place the percolator on the stove and cook till the coffee is ready.
- In the meantime warm your milk until steamy. Keep aside.
- Put sugar in a measuring cup and when the coffee is ready, pour 1~2tbsp of it into sugar. Now beat this mixture until the sugar is completely dissolved and it starts getting light and frothy. This is the key ingredient for the Cuban Coffee.
- Now slowly pour in the remaining coffee into the sugar mixture and the foam or froth rises to the top.
- Now pour the coffee into the milk and top with a few spoons of the foam. Mix well and enjoy with Cuban tostada!!