Curly Kale with Caramelized Onions (Thanksgiving Side Recipe)
I am continuing with my Thanksgiving recipes again for this week's Cooking from Cookbook challengeand today I have a healthy & delicious side dish made with Kale. It is quite simple to make too.
Kale is one of the tougher greens and needs to be cooked a little longer. This is one of the more time consuming dishes which involves caramelizing the onions and cooking the kale till tender. But thankfully the dish can be made ahead of time and refrigerated until ready to serve. If you want to make it ahead of time, then caramelize onions and cook the kale -- cool and refrigerate. Reheat just before serving and then drizzle with vinegar and garnish with almonds.
Curly Kale with Caramelized Onions
- Heat 1tbsp oil in a large saute pan or a dutch oven over medium heat. Add onions and cook for 10~12 minutes or until soft and beginning to brown.
- Add garlic and cook for 1 minute or until fragrant.
- Stir in kale and 1cup of water. Cover and cook for 30 minutes or until kale is tender. I used frozen kale, so I added only ½cup of water and let it cook for 15~20 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Drizzle with vinegar and sprinkle almonds. Serve immediately.
Linking this to Valli's 'Cooking from Cookbook Challenge: November -- Week 3'.