Decadent Mango Kulfi
- Blend the bread with cornstarch and ½ cup of milk and set aside.
- In a wide heavy bottom pan (non-stick is preferable), bring heavy cream and the remaining milk to a boil; make sure that you are stirring the milk frequently to avoid burning or scorching. Simmer on medium-high flame until the milk thickens from 3½ cups to about 2½ cups.
- Lower the flame to medium and slowly stir in the corn starch-bread mixture. Cook for 3-4 minutes, stirring frequently. According to Manjulaji this step prevents the formation of icicles in kulfi.
- Next add sugar and mango puree. Let the mixture come to a slow simmer and cook for couple more minutes. Add elaichi & saffron; remove from heat and let cool completely.
- Pour into kulfi molds or into a glass dish. Freeze until set about 4 -6 hours or overnight.
- When using a glass dish to freeze, make sure you cover it with a plastic wrap touching the kulfi to ovoid icicle formation on the surface.
For everyone in the U.S. enjoy your Labor Day weekend..