Erra Gummadikaya Pulusu (Andhra style Pumpkin Stew)
Blogging Marathon# 32: Letter E
Theme: A-Z Vegetarian Dishes from Andhra Pradesh
Dish: E for Erra Gummadikaya Pulusu (Andhra Style Pumpkin Stew)
I thought E to be one of the hardest letters to find dishes for. I found the recipe with Erra Gummadikaya aka pumpkin aka thiyya gummadikaya in 'Cooking with Pedatha' cookbook. This is a very hearty stew with a variety of veggies and can easily feed a crowd.
I used pumpkin (erra gumamdikaya), eggplant (vankaya) and potato, but other veggies like bottle goud, drumsticks, sweet potato are also typically used in this preparation.
Erra Gummadikaya Pulusu
For the Powder:
- Make the Powder: Dry roast dals and sesame seeds until lightly brown and fragrant. Let cool for sometime before grinding into a fine powder.
- Mix the powder with tamarind pulp, sambar powder, jaggery and 1-1½cups of water to form a thin, smooth gravy.
- For the Pulusu: Heat 2tbsp oil in a sauce pan; add mustard seeds and when the seeds start to splutter, add fenugreek seeds. Once they start to change color add asafoetida.
- Next add the chopped veggies and enough water to cover them. Cover and cook until the veggies are tender. Alternately cooking of the veggies can be done in the microwave -- this will speed up the process too.
- Once the veggies are cooked through and tender, add the prepared gravy, green chilies and salt. Cook for 4-5 minutes.
- Garnish with curry leaves and cilantro leaves just before turning off the heat.
- Serve hot with steamed rice and dal.
Logo courtesy : Preeti
Previously on A-Z Vegetarian Dishes of Andhra Pradesh:
B for Bagara Baingan
C for Chimmiri
D for Dosakaya Pachadi