Fuzzy Melon Dal & Roasted Eggplant Pachadi
Lunch on saturdays is a leisure affair in our home. I try to make a complete meal with dal, chawal, subzi and if I'm in the mood an extra rasam or chutney. Today I made pappu with fuzzy melon and roasted eggplant pachadi. DH made his signature egg curry.
I picked up fuzzy melon from Korean grocery not thinking of what to make with it. I read in one of the blogs "safest way to try green leafy veggies is making them into dal" and thats the route I took with this lauki look alike (except this has some striations on the skin). It tasted pretty much like lauki and was awesome in this dal.
Fuzzy Melon Dal
- Pressure cook moong dal and the melon separately till done.
- In a medium sauce pan, heat 2tsp oil and add tadka ingredients. After the seeds splutter, add green chilies, curry leaves and cooked melon.
- Saute for couple of minutes; then add turmeric and tomatoes. Cover and cook till tomatoes turn pulpy.
- Add cooked dal, salt, red chili powder (if using) and 1/2 cup water. Simmer for 5 minutes and serve with rice or roti.
Roasted eggplant pachadi
- Roast eggplant on stove top till the skin's wrinkled all over. Or Bake in a 400F oven for 30-40 minutes.
- Once done, cool till its safe enough to handle, peel off the skin and mash the pulp.
- Heat 1 tsp oil and add mustard and cumin seeds; once the seeds start to splutter add red chilies, hing and curry leaves.
- Add tadka and salt to the mashed eggplant. Mix well and enjoy with rice and dab of ghee.
And I think both the recipes are simple enough to go to Ramki's Recipes of the Rest of Us event.
Usha of Veg Inspirations gave me Yum Blog award to my site. Thanks Usha for sending the award over.