Instant Mango Pickle with Mustard & Jaggery for ICC
I made it yesterday and it tasted great. I made panchadhara avakaya with sugar and roasted mustard and fenugreek seeds. But this pickle has jaggery for sweetness and the spices used are not roasted. The pickle was not overly sweet, it is subtly sweet and you can definitely taste it in the background but it is not overwhelming. My husband's been eating it for every meal since I made it :-)
Instant Mango Pickle with Mustard & Jaggery
- Peel and finely chop the mango. Alternately it can also be grated.
- Grind mustard seeds, fenugreek seeds, salt and red chili powder. Add this to the mango and mix well. Next add the grated jaggery and turmeric. Mix well to combine all the ingredients.
- Heat oil for tempering, add mustard seeds and once the seeds start to splutter, add hing and turmeric. Turn off the heat and let the tempering cool completely.
- Once cool, add oil to the mango mixture and mix well.
- Taste and adjust the seasoning before storing in an airtight container. This pickle can be stored for 15~20 days.
- If you cannot find good quality green mangoes, then replace it with tart green grannysmith apples.
This is great to serve with rice, dosa or even roti.