Iyengar Bakery Khara Bread (Spicy Indian flavored Bread)
Blogging Marathon# 53: Week 4/ Day 1
Theme: Bookmarked Recipes -- Veena's Veg Nation
Dish: Iyengar Bakery Khara Bread
Iyengar Bakery Khara Bread
For the dough:
For the Masala/ Spice mixture:
- Make the Spice mixture: Heat 1tbsp oil in a skillet, add the cumin seeds and cook for 30 seconds. Next add the onions and cook till they turn translucent, about 4~5 minutes.
- Add the red pepper flakes, herbs and salt. Cook for 1 more minute. Turn off the heat and let the mixture cool for 10 minutes.
- For the dough: Combine all the ingredients for the dough along with the onion mixture in a large bowl or the bowl of the stand mixture.
- Mix and knead until a smooth, soft and satiny dough is formed, about 8 minutes on the machine, 10~12 minutes by hand.
- Place the dough in a greased bowl, cover and let rise for 1 hour or until doubled in volume.
- Remove the dough onto a lightly floured surface, gently deflate the dough and flatten it into a rectangle. Roll into a tight log and pinch the edges.
- Place the log into a lightly greased 9"x5" baking pan and flatten slightly to fill the pan. Cover with a lightly greased plastic wrap and allow to rise for 1 hour or until the dough crests 1" over the rim of the pan.
- Preheat the oven to 375.
- Brush the top of the dough with soy milk and bake for 35~40 minutes or until the bread is golden brown on top and sounds hollow when tapped.
- Remove from the oven and cool for 5 minutes.
- Then invert it over a wire rack and cool completely before slicing.