It is that time of the month again to make a dish for JFI (Jihva for Ingredients - Indira's brain child) and this time (fourth time to be exact), Santhi of Santhi's kitchen is hosting the event. Ingredient for month of August is Flour and Santhi is honoring all the flours under the sun . Though it sounds so simple, it is a tough one because of the wide range of recipes to choose from.
I have to mention about my Janthikala Gottum (Mold). I asked my mom to send me one from India and she sent the one, she has been using for years (she replaced it with my Ammamma's mold). So this mold is kind of sentimental and I hope to take good care of it.
- Mix the flours, sesame seeds, chili and cumin powders, ghee, salt together.
- Add just enough water to make a thick batter. Make sure that the batter is not too watery or too thick.
- Using a spoon, fill the mold with the batter.
- Heat oil till very hot. Press the mold over the hot oil and try to make concentric circles, so that the batter drops in the oil in circular coils.
- Fry till janthikalu turn golden brown. You might have to flip them once to fry uniformly on both sides.
- Remove with a slotted spoon on to a paper lined plate to remove any excess oil.
- Let cool and you can store in an air-tight container for up to 10 days.