Jazzed up Vanilla Cupcakes made from Cake Mix
After making a breakfast & an entree from ready to cook stuff, I decided to make a dessert using the same. I was debating between making an Indian dessert of Western cake. Since I had to make something for the kids for a party last weekend, I decided to make these vanilla cupcakes from store bought cake mix; this way I had a dish for the marathon and kids had something that they like.
It has been years since I bought store bought cake mix. After making the cakes at home from scratch, it somehow does not feel right buying store bought mix. I know they are very convenient, but all the additives in the mix, makes me not want to buy any.
Well for this challenge, I made an exception and since I was running out of time and options to make something for the kids, I decided to buy a cake mix anyway. I used only half the box since the full box (18.5oz) makes 24 cupcakes and I only wanted to make a dozen. I weighed the mix and halved it by weight.
Instructions on the back of the box say to use 3 eggs, 1 1/3 cup water and 1/3 cup oil. In order to jazz up the store bought mix, I used milk instead of water and added some extra vanilla extract. Also to them interesting for the kids, I had a little chocolate surprise in the middle. Here's how I made the cupcakes (I'm giving measurements for 12 cupcakes, please double the ingredients if using the entire box to make 24 cupcakes).
Vanilla Cupcakes made from Cake Mix
For the frosting:
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line a cupcake pan with paper liners.
- In a medium bowl, beat cake mix, milk, oil and eggs. Mix until well combined, about 2-3 minutes.
- Take about ½cup of the cake batter and add the cocoa powder. Mix well.
- Divide the vanilla batter evenly between the 12 cupcakes.
- Add about 1tbsp of the chocolate batter right in the center of each cupcake.
- Reduce the oven temperature to 325°F and bake for 20-22 minutes or until a cake tester inserted in the center of the cupcake comes out clean or with a very little crumbs.
- Remove from the oven and let them cool completely on a wire rack.
- For the Frosting: Mix all the frosting ingredients in a medium bowl and beat with electric mixer until stiff. Frost the cupcakes either using a piping bag & a tip or just slather the frosting generously over the cupcake. They taste delicious either way.