Blogging Marathon# 45: Week 2/ Day 1
Theme: North Indian Side dishes
Dish: Lucknowi Dal
We are starting our second week of Blogging Marathon# 45 today. My theme for this week is 'North Indian Side Dishes' and I have 3 delicious sides planned for the next 3 days.
First up is Lucknowi Dal. Dal is a quintessential dish on almost all Indian menus. Dal/ lentils are one of the best sources of protein for vegetarians and I always plan at least protein based dish for all my meals.
Recipe adapted from here.
- Pressure cook dal along with green chilies, turmeric, salt and enough water. I cook for about 4~5 whistles for a perfectly cooked dal (number of whistles may vary depending on your pressure cooker). Make sure not to add too much water.
- Once the dal is cooked and the pressure releases, open the lid and simmer the dal for 2~3 minutes.
- Heat 2tbsp ghee in a small saucepan; add cumin seeds, garlic and red chilies. Once the garlic turns golden, add it to the simmering dal. Cover the dal to precent the flavor fo tadka to escape.
- After a minute, uncover and add the milk. Simmer for 2~3 minutes.
- Garnish with chopped cilantro and serve warm with rice or roti.