Methi-Paneer Pulao (Fenugreek Leaves & Cottage Cheese Pilaf)
For Day 5 of our blogging marathon I made this quick and easy one pot rice dish. Recipe is adapted from Vidhu Mittal's Pure & Simple: Homemade Indian Vegetarian Cuisine cookbook. I had borrowed this book from the library and I was really impressed with the way the recipes were laid out and the mouthwatering pictures. I had to return the book, but I jotted down the recipes that I really wanted to try and this Methi & Paneer Pulao is one of them.
Original recipe was made in a pan, but I used my pressure cooker to make it quicker. I added some carrots for added nutrition and some biryani masala for some spice.
- Soak basmati rice in cold water for at least 15 minutes.
- Heat 2tbsp oil in a pressure cooker. Add onions and sauté until golden brown, about 6-8 minutes.
- Add ginger + garlic paste and cook for another minute.
- Next add carrots, chopped methi & cilantro. Cook until the greens are slightly wilted.
- Add crushed tomato, biryani masala and chili powder. Cover and cook without the whistle for 3-4 minutes or until the mixture is simmering and tomatoes don't smell raw anymore.
- Add the rice and 1½ cups of water, season with salt and finally add the paneer pieces. Gently mix everything; lock the lid and cook for 1 whistle on medium-high flame.
- Let the pressure come down and then serve with potato chips and yogurt or raita.
- ** If you don't prefer pressure cooked paneer then sauté them in some ghee or oil and mix in to the rice after everything is cooked.