Pani Puri (Gol Gappe) For ICC-May
This month’s Indian Cooking Challenge (ICC) was so much fun, making poori was only the first part of the fun, dipping them in pani and competing with your hubby to finish them off forms the rest of the fun. Thanks Valli for choosing these fun filled gol gappes for this month’s challenge. I thoroughly enjoyed making them (albeit my biceps started aching from trying to roll the pooris too thin) and eating them.
My pooris were not as crisp as I wanted them to be, but they puffed up OK and tasted yummy. So I have no regrets. But the best part was the Red tamarind chutney that was sooo yummy and I’m sure going to be using that in other chaat recipes.
Pani Puri (Gol Gappe)
Pani (Flavored Tamarind water) Ingredients:
Red Tamarind Chutney
- In a bowl, mix sooji, salt and AP flour. Add couple of tablespoons of water at a time and form into stiff dough. Knead well for at least 5-6 minutes. Add ½ tsp oil and knead again for 2 minutes.
- Cover with damp kitchen towel and let rest for at least 15 minutes.
- Roll the dough out as thin as possible. Take a small cookie cutter or a bottle lid and cut into circles. Cover the circles with damp towel at all times to avoid drying out.
- Deep fry them in hot oil and watch them puff up like magic. Remove on to a paper lined plate and enjoy them with dip and fillings.
Make the puris:
Make Pani (flavored tamarind water):
- Blend all the ingredients with some water into a smooth paste. Add more water to make dilute it. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
Prep the Fillings:
- Boil and slightly mash potato. Season with salt and red chili powder.
- Boil chickpeas and cook with some salt, red chili powder & garam masala.
Make the Red Tamarind Chutney:
- Add jaggery, sugar, red chili powder, ground cumin and cloves to tamarind pulp. Season with salt; heat the mixture on medium heat for 5 minutes. Keep aside until ready to serve.
- Poke a small hole in the center of the puri. Add all or any of the fillings in the center. Add a little red tamarind chutney. Then dip it in the spicy flavored water and gulp it down in one bite.