Blogging Marathon# 28: Week 4/ Day 2
Theme: BM Pairs
Dish: Quinoa Pongal from Suma's Veggie Platter
For day 2 under "Cooking from BM members" theme, I'm paired with Suma @ Veggie Platter. Suma has been blogging for over 6 years and I've probably known her virtually for almost 5 years. Her blog is filled with ton of delicious Andhra, Karnataka and kid friendly recipes. I love the way she writes her recipes, she makes everything seem so easy even the most elaborate ones.
Suma has some very innovative and delicious Quinoa dishes. I decided to make her quinoa pongal. I had some whole moong dal that I cooked for this recipe and I used that instead of regular moong dal. Here's how I made the dish.
- Rinse quinoa well to remove the saponins, the protective coating on the grains. If left on, it might cause the dish to taste bitter.
- Bring 2 cups of water and 1 cup of quinoa to boil in a medium saucepan. Lower the heat and simmer covered until cooked through, about 20 minutes.
- Cook moongdal until tender and mix with the quinoa. Add salt to taste.
- Alternately cook both quinoa and moong dal together in a pressure cooker or directly on the stove.
- Heat 1tbsp oil in a small saute pan; add cumin seeds and once they start to crackle, add green chilies, curry leaves, ginger, cashews and ground pepper. Cook until it starts to smell fragrant. Add the tempering to quinoa mixture, mix well and serve hot.