RCI - Andhra Cuisine: Kanda Bachalikura
This is my entry to this month's Regional Cuisine of India (RCI) - Andhra Cuisine, being hosted by lovely Latha (@ Masala Magic). This dish is mostly made during celebrations like weddings, house warming ceremonies etc. This was on the list of my favorite things that I miss about my Mom's cooking.
Little more information on Bachali Kura: Basella alba Stewaret (syn Basella rubra Linn) Basellaceae; Common English Name: Malabar nightshade, Ceylon spinach or Indian spinach; Tamil: Pasalai keerai; Hindi: Poi; Thai: Phak ptlang.
- Microwave the suran pieces in 1 cup of water for 6-8 minutes, or until the cubes are tender.
- Heat 1 tsp oil in a pan on medium low heat, add the popu ingredients and when the seeds splutter, add curry leaves, ginger and green chilies. Stir fry for about 30 seconds.
- Add turmeric and chopped green veggies, cover and cook for about 5-7 minutes or until they wilt down and don't smell raw anymore.
- Add the microwaved kanda (suran) pieces; cover and cook for another 5 minutes.
- With the back of the spoon mash kanda pieces till it becomes smooth. You can leave them chunky, but traditionally this dish has a very smooth consistency.
- Add the tamarind paste, salt and little water (if needed). Cook for another 5 minutes. Serve hot with rice.
Note: Lemon juice can be used instead of tamarind paste in this dish and it will taste equally yummy.
Here's another similar dish from Ammalu's Kitchen - Kanda Palakura Avapetti.