Self Saucing Chocolate Cake (Vegan recipe)
Happy Valentines Day to everyone.
After posting the Mango custard yesterday, I thought I should also post something with Chocolate for Valentines day. Valentines day without chocolate is probably unthinkable for some, but history channel says that this association happened only recently even though the roots of Valentines day go all the way back to Roman era. Chocolate is a well known aphrodisiac, but the main reason for chocolate being the center of this holiday could be the candy companies marketing strategies. Whatever it might be, here's another reason to enjoy our beloved chocolate.
I saw this recipe in King Arthur's catalog and made it the other day for my son's afternoon snack. It is super simple to put together and tasted absolutely a.m.a.z.i.n.g. The warm cake with chocolate sauce served with ice cream is just too irresistible.
Recipe is supposed to be made in 8~10 oz. ramekins or oven safe mugs, I didn't have either, so used 7oz. mini ramekins. Also I veganized the recipe by using soy milk, canola oil (instead of melted butter) and egg replacer (instead of an egg).
Makes 4 servings if using 8~10oz. ramekins/ 6 servings if using 7oz. ramekins
Self Saucing Chocolate Cake
For the topping:
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Grease four 8~10oz. ramekins or oven safe mugs
- To make the Cake: Mix together the flour, sugar, cocoa, almond meal, salt and baking powder.
- Whisk in the vanilla, oil, egg replacer mixture and milk.
- Divide the batter among the prepared ramekins or mugs, using about 1/3 cup batter in each.
- To make the Topping: Whisk together the sugar, cocoa and salt in a small bowl. Add about 2 heaping tablespoons of topping on each of the ramekins/ mugs.
- Top each of the ramekins/ mugs with a ¼cup of the hot milk or water.
- Place the ramekins/ mugs on a baking sheet and bake the cakes for 18~22 minutes. The cake should be puffy with some liquid bubbling up around the edges.
- Serve warm with ice cream or whipped cream, if desired.
Linking this to 'Fabulous Feast Friday# 2' -- being hosted by this week by Valli & Prachi.
Linking to Valli's 'Cooking from Cookbook Challenge' -- February Week 3.