Spinach Fry & Tomato Dal
I missed Veganmofo over the weekend, so I thought I will post 2 very simple recipes to make up for it. These two dishes are actually too simple and easy and they don’t need a recipe, but I’ll give them anyway. :-)
First up is Spinach fry or sautéed spinach. I sometimes add soaked moong dal to make it even more nutritious.
- Heat 2tsp oil in a large sauté pan; add urad dal, cumin & mustard seeds & red chili; once the seeds start to splutter add garlic and sauté till golden brown and fragrant. Make sure not to burn garlic.
- Add onions, green chilies, turmeric and sauté till onions are lightly browned. Next add spinach; cover and cook till cooked thoroughly, about 6-8 minutes.
- Add salt; cook uncovered on medium-high heat till most of the water evaporates. Serve with rice or roti.
- Cook both dals with tomato, green chilies & enough water in a pressure cooker until thoroughly cooked (takes about 4-5 whistles in my cooker).
- In a small saucepan, heat 1tsp oil and add the tadka ingredients; once the seeds start to splutter, add the tadka to the cooked dal along with tamarind paste, turmeric, salt and 1 cup water. Simmer the mixture for another 7-8 minutes. Serve with steamed rice or roti.