Sweet Pea Kheer
Blogging Marathon# 34: Week 3/ Day 3
Theme: Desserts with Vegetables
Dish: Sweet Pea Kheer
So for the final day of this week's BM# 34, I decided to make something different for 'Desserts with Vegetables'. I saw this sweet pea kheer on a Telugu cooking show and remember thinking to myself 'why would anyone use sweet peas to make kheer!!!!' But of course when Valli announced the themes, I knew I had to experiment with a vegetable that I have never used in desserts before, so here it is a kheer with sweet peas.
On the cooking show the kheer had a beautiful minty green color, but mine didn't turn out that color. I guess I didn't grind the sweet peas into a smooth enough paste to get that color.
I only made a small quantity because I was skeptical how the kheer would turn out. I didn't taste the sweet peas that much but since the texture was a little chunky, could feel the peas texture. All in all it turned out to be successful dessert that my 14month old and I slurped up.
Ingredients: Makes 1 very generous serving or 2 small servings
Sweet Pea Kheer
- Grind sweet peas into a smooth paste.
- Heat 2tsp ghee in a nonstick pan, and roast the dry nuts until golden and set aside.
- In the same pan heat 2tsp ghee, add the sweet pea paste and sauté for 3~4 minutes. Cook until peas don't smell raw anymore.
- Add evaporated milk and cook for 4~5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add sugar and cook until the mixture thickens a little bit, about 3~4 minutes.
- Turn off the heat and add ground cardamom and condensed milk. Mix well and serve chilled.
- If not using evaporated milk, then boil 2cups of milk until it reduces to 1cup.
- Adjust sugar and condensed milk as per taste.
- If using fresh peas, then blanch them for 1~2 minutes.