Tameta Muthiya nu Shaak (Gujarati Tomato Curry with Steamed Dumplings)
BM# 63: Journey through the Cuisines
Week 3: Gujarati Cuisine
Day 20: T for Tameta Muthiya nu Shaak
Recipe from Tarla Dalal.com:
I make tomato curry quite often, but adding muthiyas to it makes it special enough to serve even for guests. Make the muthiyas ahead of time and put them in the curry just before serving. This dish can be served withe either rice or roti for a yummy meal.
Tameta Muthiya nu Shaak
- Prepare Palak Methi muthiyas.
- Heat oil in a pan, add the mustard seeds. Once the seeds start to splutter, add the curry leaves, ginger and asafoetida and saute for 30 seconds.
- Add the tomatoes, turmeric, ground coriander, ground cumin, red chili powder, sugar, salt and 1/2cup of water.
- Cover and cook till the tomatoes turn mushy.
- Just before serving, add the palak methi muthiyas, mix gently and cook on a medium flame for another minute.
- Serve right away with rotlis.
O for Oondhiyu
P for Piyush
Q for Quick Pan Handvo
R for Rasawala Chana
S for Sambhariyu Shaak