Tikel Gomen (Ethiopian Cabbage, Carrots & Potatoes)
Blogging Marathon# 36: Week 3/ Day 3
Theme: Ethiopian Cuisine
Dish: Tikel Gomen (Ethiopian Cabbage, Carrots & Potatoes)
The weather has been crazy this winter. We had temperatures waaay below freezing, thanks to the so-called polar vortex and then there was snow and rain. We had a couple of days respite, but the prediction for next week seems to be below freezing again. I can't wait for this winter to get over.
Coming back to the task in hand, BM# 36, for the last Ethiopian dish of the week, I made a dish with cabbage, carrot & potatoes. This dish is made very similar to an Indian curry and has very similar taste profile as well. I made some Injera to serve along with Mesir wat and this Tikel gomen.
- Heat 2~3tbsp oil in a saute pan, add onions, carrots, ginger, garlic and green chilies. Cook until onions start to turn translucent.
- Next add potatoes and cabbage along with turmeric. Mix well.
- Cover and cook until potatoes are tender and cabbage is cooked.
- Add cumin, red chili powder, salt and pepper.
- Mix well and cook for 3~4 minutes.
- Serve with rice or injera.