For the Vegetable Layer:
For the Rice Layer:
- Add all the ingredients for marinade to the chopped veggies and let stand for at least one hour in a covered dish. The aroma of all the spices is amazing at this stage.
Marinate the veggies:
- Add 5cups of water and the spice pouch into a big pot and bring the water to a boil. When the water comes to a rolling boil, remove the spice bag and add the soaked rice(drain water completely). Stir occasionally. Cook till the rice is ¾th cooked. This will take about 8-10 minutes max. Drain into a colander and keep aside.
To Assemble the Biryani:
- While the rice is cooking, heat about 6tbsp of oil in a very large heavy bottom pan. Add the vegetables and cook covered on medium low heat until the veggies are just tender.
- After the vegetables are tender enough, add the rice as a layer, top rice layer with saffron-milk mixture and fried onions.
- Bring the heat down to low, cover the pot and cook for about 20 minutes. Resist mixing the whole mixture. After 20minutes, remove from heat and let sit for 10 minutes.
- Serve hot with raita and paneer kurma.
Here's the picture of our dessert: Simple Chocolate cake with hot chocolate sauce and vanilla ice cream.