BM# 71: Week 2/ Day 3
Theme: Seasonal Special Produce — Winter Squash
Dish: Acorn Squash Soup
We had our first snow of the season yesterday, I’m glad that it wasn’t much and did not really effect the weekend plans. But it got really really cold, perfect time to sip some hot chocolate or slurp some hot soup. That is what we did, I made this creamy Acorn squash soup for the last day of this week’s ‘Seasonal produce’ theme. I have to be honest, I don’t really like soup. For some reason, it doesn’t appeal to me much, so I rarely make soups at home. As I was looking for recipes to make with acorn squash, most of them were either stuffed (which I already made here with delicata squash) or roasted. Since the temperatures were freezing, I thought why not roast the acorn squash and make the soup. The oven would warm up the kitchen and the soup can warm up the belly. So I made this recipe by Guy Fieri from Food Network. This Acorn squash soup turned out very delicious. The recipe calls for roasting an onion and couple of garlic cloves along with the squash. These are then pureed along with the squash giving the soup an extra layer of flavor.
This soup was nothing like the squash soups I made or ate before. It was creamy, flavorful, comforting and hearty. Perfect to make when the temperatures take a dip and you need some warmth in the house and your tummy.
Acorn Squash Soup
- 1 Acorn Squash
- 2 Small Red Onions, coarsely chopped
- 2 Garlic cloves
- 2 cups Vegetable stock
- 1 tsp Dried Italian Seasoning
- 1/8 tsp Cayenne pepper (add more if you like it spicy)
- To taste Salt Pepper
- 3 tbsp Heavy cream*
- 2 tbsp Grated Parmesan Cheese*
- 1 tbsp Fresh Parsley, finely chopped
- Preheat the oven to 375°F.
- Cut the ends off the squash, halve it and scoop the seeds out. In one half, place half of the chopped onion and in the other half place the garlic cloves. Drizzle both the halves with 1tbsp olive oil, salt and pepper. Place the acorn on baking sheet and bake for 45 minutes to 1 hour or until very tender and collapsed.
- Once the squash is roasted, remove from the oven and set aside to cool slightly. When the squash is cool enough to handle, peel the skin off and keep ready.
- In a soup pot, heat 1tbsp olive oil; add the remaining chopped onion and cook till the edges are slightly getting brown.
- Add the scooped out squash flesh along with the roasted onion, garlic, herbs, cayenne pepper, vegetable stock, salt and pepper. Using an immersion blender, blend the soup until smooth.
- Bring the mixture to simmer and cook for 2~3 minutes.
- Stir in the heavy cream and cook till heated through. Turn off the heat and add 1tbsp parmesan cheese. Mix well and serve the soup hot with parsley, more parmesan cheese and olive oil.
- Make the Soup Vegan by skipping the addition of parmesan cheese and heavy cream. To get the creamy texture, heavy cream can be subbed with some coconut milk.