This is a hearty and delicious curry that is very good for health too. Adzuki beans (red chori in Hindi) are small red colored beans that are high in protein (about 17grams in one cup of cooked beans) and are very good source of magnesium, potassium, iron, zinc, copper, manganese and B vitamins. Kale is considered to be highly nutritious vegetable with powerful anti-oxidant properties and is anti-inflammatory.
Adzuki Beans – Kale Curry
- 1 cup Adzuki Beans – sorted, rinsed and soaked overnight or at least 8 hours
- 1 bunch Kale – roughly chopped
- 1 Onion – medium, chopped
- 2 Tomato – medium, chopped
- 2 tsps Chole Masala
- ½ tsp chili powder Red
- ½ tsp Amchoor
- pinch Turmeric
- 2 cloves Garlic – crushed
- to taste Salt
- Pressure cook the soaked beans for 3-4 whistles (or add 3¼ cups water to 1cup soaked beans; cover and simmer for 45 minutes).
- Heat 1 tbsp oil in a large pan; add onions and sauté till light brown. Stir in turmeric and garlic and cook for 2 more minutes.
- Add the tomatoes; cover and cook till they turn mushy. Now add the masala, red chili powder and salt. Mix well and cook for 1 minute.
- Next add chopped kale; cover and let it wilt. Add the beans with ½ cup water; cover and cook again till the curry reaches the desired consistency. Serve with rice or roti.