Aglio E Olio is an easy to make Pasta dish that needs only a few ingredients and takes just a few minutes.
For Day 2 of this week’s blogging marathon under ‘Italian sauces’, I tried a very simple pasta sauce called Aglio e Olio. It literally means garlic and oil in Italian. This is a traditional dish originating from Naples. Even though the dish name sounds a little complicated with all those vowels, the dish is very simple to make and takes less than 30 minutes to make.Traditionally this dish is made with spaghetti, garlic and olive oil. Pepperoncini or crushed red pepper flakes can be added to give some kick to the dish. From what I’ve read, cheese is not added in the traditional version, but it sure makes the dish extra special.This has got to be the simplest and easiest pasta dish ever. All it needs is pantry staple items and is you skip the cheese, it is a 100% vegan dish. A little bit of attention is required while making this dish so that the garlic doesn’t burn. Also right amount of pasta cooking water needs to be added to get the creamy consistency to the sauce.I added some kale and broccoli to my Aglio e Olio to make it more colorful and to avoid making a salad on the side. Some chickpeas or Italian style baked tofu would be a great addition to this pasta. I used bucatini pasta — a thick hollow long pasta that holds the garlicky sauce and it is just awesome experience to slurp on the noodles. Do try it, you will know what I’m talking about.
Aglio e Olio with Kale
- 1 lb. Long Pasta like Spaghetti or Bucatini
- ¼ cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 4 Garlic Cloves, thinly sliced
- As needed Crushed red Pepper flakes (optional)
- 2 cups Broccoli florets, steamed
- 1 Small Bunch Kale, chopped
- To taste Salt & Pepper
- 2~3 tbsp Parmesan cheese, grated
- Cook Pasta in a big pot of salted water until 'al dente'. Reserve 1 cup of pasta cooking water. Drain pasta and return to the pot.
- While pasta is cooking, heat 3tbsp olive oil and garlic in a large skillet. Add crushed red pepper flakes, if using. Cook over medium heat until garlic starts to sizzle and turn lightly golden, about 3~4 minutes.
- Add kale and cook till it slightly wilts, about 2~3 minutes. Add steamed broccoli and cook for 1 more minute to heat through.
- Next transfer the pasta to the skillet along with ½cup of pasta cooking water, increase the heat to high and cook tossing the noodles constantly, until a creamy sauce forms and coats the noodles. Add more pasta water if needed.
- Remove from heat and stir in the remaining 1tbsp olive oil and mix well. Top with grated parmesan, if desired. Serve right away!!