Blogging Marathon# 67: Week 4/ Day 1
Theme: Kid’s Delight — Breakfast
Dish: Almond-Orange Pancakes
First up are these Almond-Orange Pancakes. Idea to make them came from Simi’s Almond meal pancakes. I had some almond meal in the pantry along with gluten free flour from Trader Joes (one of my impulse buys), so decided to make the pancakes gluten free and vegan too.
I knew my kids love pancakes, but I was a little worried if they would like the orange flavor and the texture of these gluten free ones. I shouldn’t have worried, they loved them a lot. The leftover pancakes freeze beautifully — wrap them tightly in foil and place them in a ziploc bag. Just toast them until soft before serving. The sweet orange syrup tastes amazing with the pancakes, but the leftovers can be drizzled over pound cake or ice cream.
Almond-Orange Pancakes (Gluten free and Vegan)
For the Pancakes:
- 2 cups Almond Meal
- 1 cup flour Gluten free (I used Trader Joe's brand or just use regular all purpose )
- 2 tsps Baking powder
- ½ tsp Salt
- 2 tbsps Sugar
- 1¾ cups Almond Milk
- 2 tbsps Egg eggs replacer powder (whisked in 6tbsp Water) or use 2 large
- 1 tsp Vanilla extract
- 1 tbsp Orange Zest
- 2 tbsps Canola Oil
For the Orange Syrup:
- 2 cups Orange juice Freshly squeezed
- ¼ cup Sugar
To make the Pancakes:
- In a large mixing bowl, combine almond meal, flour, baking powder, salt and sugar.
- In another mixing bowl, whisk almond milk, egg replacer mixture, vanilla, orange zest and oil.
- Add the wet ingredients to dry ingredients and mix gently until combined. Try not to over-mix. Let the batter rest for 10~15 minutes.
- Heat a griddle on medium flame, pour a ladle of batter and cook until bubbles start to form on the top and the bottom is golden, about 1~2 minutes. Gently flip and cook on the other side for another 1~2 minutes. Remove onto a plate and serve hot with orange syrup.
To make Orange Syrup:
- Combine orange juice and sugar in a saucepan. Let the mixture boil for 15~20 minutes. Serve with pancakes. Store the leftover syrup in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 1 week.