BM# 68-Cooking Carnival: Day 3
Theme for Week 1: Recipes using Ancient Grains flour blend
Dish: Ancient Grains Sandwich Bread
I usually offer a slice of freshly baked bread to my kids so they can have a taste. Generally they take that slice and they are done. But for this bread, they came back for seconds and thirds — which is unusual in itself but what’s more unusual is that my picky 3 year old came back for more too.
It has an earthy taste and lends itself beautifully to sandwiches and with the exceptional texture, it is great even toasted. All in all a great homemade bread that is easy to put together and tastes awesome.
Recipe from King Arthur Flour:
Ancient Grains Sandwich Bread
- 2 cups Bread flour Unbleached
- 1½ cups Wholewheat flour
- ½ cup flour Ancient Grains blend (homemade or store-bought)
- 2½ tsps Yeast Instant
- 1½ tsps Salt
- ¼ cup milk Nonfat dry
- 1 tbsp Wheat Vital gluten
- ¾ ~ 1 cups water Lukewarm
- ½ cup Orange juice
- 2 tbsps Honey
- Combine all the ingredients in a large mixing bowl or the bowl of the stand mixer. Mix and knead to make a smooth dough. Dough will be slightly sticky.
- Place the dough in a lightly greased bowl, cover and let rise for about 1 hour or until the dough is doubled in volume.
- Turn out the dough onto a lightly greased surface, shape into a log and place it in a 8½"x4½" loaf pan. Cover and let rise for another 1 hour or until it crests about 1" over the rim of the pan.
- Towards the end of the rising time, preheat the oven to 375°F.
- Bake the bread for 35~40 minutes or until the interior registers 190°F on a digital thermometer.
- Remove from the oven onto a cooling rack. Cool completely before slicing.