Blogging Marathon# 37: Week 2/ Day 3
Theme: Kid’s Delight — Oven Baked Snacks
Dish: Apple Galette
For the 3rd day of blogging marathon# 37, I have this simple and easy to make apple galette that I actually made couple of months ago. My son has been asking me to make apple pie for quite some time now. I didn’t want to bake a full fledged apple pie as I wasn’t totally convinced if he’d really like it or not. So I took the easy route and made this galette with the spelt crust scraps leftover after making this quiche recipe.
Galette is a free form pie and can be made with pie crust or even puff pastry. The crust I used for the quiche had some dried herbs in it. If I had thought of making this apple galette earlier, I probably would have skipped the herbs to make this dessert. But the herbs in the crust didn’t really bother us. Galette tasted great with some vanilla ice cream.
With the scraps I had, I was able to make a 9″~10″ galette. Use as many apples as needed to fill your galette. I sprinkled some toffee bits that I had on hand, just to make it a little more attractive to my son.
- Pie crust - store bought or homemade
- 2 ~ 3 Apples - medium, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 ~ 2 tbsp Brown Sugar
- ½ tsp Cinnamon Ground
- 1 ~ 2 tbsp Sugar Turbinado
- 1 tbsp butter Melted
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line a baking sheet with a parchment.
- Roll out the pie crust into a circle, about ¼" thick and as big as you can with the crust you have.
- Combine brown sugar and cinnamon in a small bowl.
- Layer the apple slices slightly overlapping each other starting from the outside leaving 1" border to the center of the galette.
- Sprinkle the brown sugar-cinnamon and the toffee bits (if using) evenly over the apples.
- Fold the crust over the apples, press gently to adhere the folds.
- Brush the crust with melted butter and sprinkle with the turbinado sugar.
- Bake for 30~35 minute or until the crust is golden and the filling is bubbling. Remove from the oven and place it on a wire rack for 5 minutes before slicing.
- Serve with a scoop of vanilla ice cream .Enjoy!!