For the final day of this week’s marathon, I have a healthy roti for the kids lunchbox. I was planning to make Nalini’s Avocado roti but then had some baby spinach in the fridge that needed to be used up, so that’s how these avocado-spinach rotis were born.Avocados are very healthy and provide nearly 20 essential nutrients, including fiber, potassium, vitamin E and folic acids. I like it quite a bit but my husband is allergic to it, so I usually eat it by myself but never make it for the family. But I wanted to at least see how the kids like it.
Avocados make these rotis very very soft and stay that way for a very long time, which makes them perfect for packing for lunch. I followed Nalini’s recipe and added some spices to the rotis, you don’t really need a side dish. I served with pickle for myself but my son had them with some cheese.
Avocado Palak Roti
Healthy & nutritious rotis (flatbread) made with avocado and spinach. These rotis turn out super soft and delicious.
- 1 avocado , peeled and mashed
- 2 cups spinach leaves
- 1 1/2 ~ 2 cups atta (wholewheat flour)
- 1 ~ 2 Chilies Green
- 1/2 tsp garam masala
- To taste salt
- Steam or boil or saute spinach until wilted. Grind to a paste along with the avocado and green chili.
- Combine the spinach paste, atta, garam masala, salt and oil in a mixing bowl. Mix and knead into a smooth, pliable dough. Cover and set aside for 15~20 minutes.
- Divide the dough into 6~8 equal pieces. Roll each piece into 6~7" rotis.
- Cook on a tawa on medium-high heat until brown spots form on both sides, about 1~2 minutes per side. Brush some ghee or vegan butter on the roti. Serve with raita and/ or pickle.