Blogging Marathon# 35: Week 1/ Day 2
Theme: Cooking with Corn
Dish: Baby Corn-Peas Masala Curry
I bookmarked this recipe from Valli’s blog the minute I saw it. For some reason the combination of baby corn and peas sounded very appealing. We get canned baby corn here and I usually keep a can in the pantry, so it comes in handy when I’m running out of fresh veggies. Baby corn is also a great addition to Indo-Chinese dishes.
I have had baby corn in rice dishes and fried as appetizer, but never cooked by itself in a curry. I remember eating Chili Baby corn in a restaurant in Hyderabad and it tasted awesome. There are a ton of recipes online and may be one when I’m ready to deep fry I’ll make this.
Canned baby corn are already precooked, so they can be added straight to the dish. If you are using fresh baby corn, they will have to be boiled until tender before using in the dish.
Baby Corn-Peas Masala Curry
- 8 - 10 , 1 Baby corn " - chopped into pieces (if using fresh, boil them until tender)
- 1 cup Green peas (I used thawed frozen peas)
- 1 Onion - medium, finely chopped
- 2 chilies Green - slit
- 1 cup Tomato puree
- ½ tsp Ginger-garlic paste
- ¼ tsp Turmeric
- 1 tsp cumin Ground
- ½ tsp chili powder Kashmiri red (increase if you like spicy food)
- ½ tsp Garam Masala
- ½ ~ 1 cups Milk
- 2 tbsp Cream
- Heat 1tbsp butter in a saute pan; add onions and green chilies. Cook until onions start turning brown around the edges.
- Next add ginger-garlic paste and cook for 1 minute. Add turmeric, chili powder, cumin and garam masala; cook for 1~2 minutes.
- Add tomato puree and cook for 4~5 minutes until oil starts to separate.
- Next add baby corn and green peas; cook for 2~3 minutes.
- Add milk and bring to a simmer. Cover and cook until the gravy thickens a little bit.
- Finally add cream and cook till heated through, about 2minutes.