BM# 76: Week 4/ Day 1
Theme: Bookmarked Recipes
Dish: Baby Corn Pepper Rice
We are starting the final week of BM today and my theme for the next 3 days is ‘Bookmarked Recipes’. First up is a quick and easy to make Baby corn Pepper Rice. It is perfect to make for lunchboxes or as a quick weeknight meal.I am in the process of clearing the shelves for the big move and I have quite a few ingredients in the pantry and the fridge that need to be used up soon. So I thought why not look through my bookmarks for the recipes to try with them — 2 birds in 1 shot 🙂Canned baby corn in the pantry inspired me to try this recipe from Tarla Dalal’s site. Original recipe only had baby corn and green pepper, I added some soy chunks (another one of those pantry items that needed to be used up) to make the dish more wholesome and filling.What I found interesting about this dish is the use of tomato ketchup along with tomato puree. Initially I was skeptical how that would taste but it sure gives the dish a nice flavor and tanginess. This is a mildly spiced dish with just a little bit of chili powder and pepper for spiciness — makes it great for kids too. Also if different colored peppers are used, then it makes it look even more colorful and appealing.
Baby Corn Pepper Rice
- 1½ cups Basmati Rice, rinsed and soaked for at least 30 minutes
- 1 15 oz. can of Baby corn, drained and rinsed
- 2 Green or other colored Pepper, chopped
- 1 cup Mini Soy Chunks, soaked in hot water for 10 minutes
- 2 tbsp Oil
- 1 Large Onion, chopped
- 2~3 Garlic cloves, finely minced
- ½ cup Tomato puree
- 3 tbsp Tomato Ketchup
- 1 tsp Red Chili powder (adjust as per taste)
- To taste Salt Pepper
- Cook basmati rice and set aside to cool.
- Heat oil in a pan; add onions, garlic and cook until onions turn translucent, about 2~3 minutes.
- Add the peppers; cover and cook for about 6~8 minutes or until crisp tender.
- Drain the water from soy chunks and squeeze out the excess water.
- Next add the baby corn, soy chunks and cook for 2~3 minutes.
- Add the tomato ketchup, tomato puree, chili powder and sugar. Mix well and cook for 3~4 minutes.
- Add the rice, salt and pepper. Mix well and cook for another 2~3 minutes. Serve hot and Enjoy!!