BM# 70: Week 4/ Day 2
Theme: Bookmarked Recipes
Dish: Baked Mashed Potatoes
Hope all of you had a lovely Thanksgiving day. We had a wonderful Thanksgiving party yesterday with tons of food and a loooong day of black Friday shopping today. After all that I got behind on posting for blogging marathon. Well it’s better late than never, so here’s a ‘Baked Mashed Potatoes’ recipe that can be served for any of your holiday gatherings. Recipe is from the Kitchen by Jeff Mauro. I fell in love with it right away — it is the same creamy mashed potatoes but baked until slightly golden and crispy on top. I am not a big fan of mashed potatoes that are heavy with cream and butter. But in this recipe potatoes are whipped with cream cheese and butter, making them very light and fluffy.Good thing about this recipe is that they can be made ahead of time, up to 2 days in advance and can be baked off just before serving. My son has been asking for mashed potatoes for quite some time now and he was one happy kid when I served this to him. This dish is sure going to be a hit at any holiday party.
Also linking this to Valli’s ‘Cooking from Cookbook Challenge: ‘November — Week 4′.
Baked Mashed Potatoes
- 4 Medium Russet Potatoes, peeled and diced into 1" pieces
- 3 tbsp Cream cheese, softened I used low fat cream cheese
- 4 tbsp Unsalted Butter, softened
- 3 tbsp heavy cream
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 Garlic clove, finely grated
- To Taste Salt Pepper
For the Topping:
- 2 tbsp Melted Butter
- 2 tbsp Chives, finely minced
- 1 tbsp Parsley, finely minced
Make Mashed Potatoes:
- In a medium saucepan, combine potatoes, 1tsp salt and enough water to cover the potatoes. Bring to a boil and cook over medium-high heat until the potatoes are fork-tender, about 15 minutes. Drain the potatoes well and set them aside to dry a little bit.
- Whisk the softened cream cheese and butter until light and fluffy. Add the warm potatoes, cream and milk. Whip using a hand blender until well blended and light.
- Add garlic, salt and pepper. Mix well. At this point the mashed potatoes can be cooled completely and stored in the refrigerator for up to 2 days.
Bake the Mashed Potatoes:
- When ready to bake, preheat the oven to 350F. Drizzle the melted butter on top of the potato mixture and bake until bubbly and slightly golden.
- Garnish with chives and parsley. Enjoy!!