After these Vegan Vanilla cupcakes, the other cupcake recipe that is made quite often in my house is this vegan chocolate cupcake. This recipe is also from ‘Vegan Cupcakes Take over the World‘. I tried other eggless cupcake recipes, but this recipe has always given me consistent results. The cupcakes are moist and fluffy and they hold up to butter cream frosting.
I made these cupcakes for my son’s birthday and sent them to school. His class has kids who have very severe peanut allergy, so I always make sure that all the ingredients I use are peanut free.
- 1 cup All purpose flour
- 1/3 cup Cocoa Unsweetened powder - Dutch processed or regular
- ¾ tsp Baking Soda
- ½ tsp Baking powder
- ¼ tsp Salt
- 1 cup Soy milk
- 1 tsp Apple cider Vinegar
- ¾ cup Sugar Granulated
- 1/3 cup Canola Oil
- 1 tsp Vanilla extract
- ½ tsp Almond Chocolate vanilla extract extract/ extract or more - (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line muffin pan with paper or foil liners.
- Whisk together soy milk and vinegar in a large bowl. Set aside for a few minutes to curdle.
- Add sugar, oil, vanilla extract and other extract, if using, to the soy milk mixture and beat until foamy.
- In a separate bowl, sift together flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder and salt.
- Add dry ingredients to wet ingredients in 2 batches and beat the batter is almost smooth, few lumps are OK.
- Pour into liners upto ¾s of the way. Bake 18~20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cupcake comes out clean.
- Transfer to cooling rack and let cool completely before frosting.