Blogging Marathon# 66: Week 3/ Day 1
Theme: Kid’s Delight — Lunch Box Recipes
Dish: Bean Burrito with Potatoes
Both my kids have very different tastes. My son likes pasta, sandwiches or wraps to school whereas my daughter prefers rice with broccoli, brussels sprouts, carrot etc. With such varied tastes, it becomes so difficult to make something that both of them would enjoy. Luckily until last year, my little one was going to school only 3 days a week, but come September she will be going full time, which means packing lunch for both for the whole week.
This recipe takes about 30~40 minutes if everything is ready to go. I think to ease out a little bit of stress in the morning, I will probably make the black beans and cook rice the night before. So all I have to do in the morning is to cook the potatoes and assemble the wrap. I can see myself making this burrito quite often for my son.
- 2 Tortillas Wholegrain (I used sundried tomato flavored tortillas)
- 1 cup Black beans Cooked (rinsed and drained if using canned beans)
- 1 cup Rice (White or brown)
- ¼ tsp Cumin Ground
- ¼ tsp Garlic powder
- ¼ tsp Chili powder
- ¼ cup Cilantro , finely chopped
- 1 ~ 2 tbsps Lime juice
- 2 Potatoes Medium , peeled and diced
- 1 Red onion Small , thinly sliced
- Salsa As needed
- Sour cream As needed
- Cheese As needed Shredded
- Combine rice, water (13/4cups for white and 21/2cups for brown) and salt to taste. Bring to a boil, lower the heat, cover and cook till the rice is tender. Remove from heat and set aside. After a couple of minutes, stir in lime juice and cilantro.
- In a small saucepan, combine lack beans, cumin, garlic powder and chili powder. Add ¼cup of water and simmer till bubbling. Cover and keep warm.
- Microwave the potatoes for 3~4 minutes or until just tender.
- Heat oil in a nonstick or cast iron pan, add the potatoes to one half of the pan and the onions to the other half. Season with salt and pepper and cook for 4~5 minutes or until slightly browned. Toss together around and cook till lightly browned all over. Remove and heat and set aside.
To make Burrito:
- Warm the tortilla until pliable. Pile up the rice, beans and potatoes, followed by salsa, sour cream and cheese. Roll it up and cut in half. Enjoy right away or pack up for lunch.