Blogging Marathon# 65: Week 3/ Day 2
Theme: 1 Vegetable — 3 Dishes
Dish: Beet and Quinoa Salad with Spinach
I have another salad with beets today. This one’s with quinoa, carrot, edamame and other delicious and nutritious super foods.Recipe is from Cookie & Kate. Original recipe suggests using spiralized beets and carrots. Spiralized vegetables are quite a craze these days. I have one, but I haven’t figured out how to use it yet. But grating the vegetables give the same salad almost same texture.This is a hearty, filling and colorful salad. It is a meal in itself, but can be served as a side too. Salad can be made ahead of time but don’t add the greens and avocado. Add these 2 ingredients just before serving.Recipe from Cookie & Kate:
Beet & Quinoa Salad
For the Salad:
- ½ cup Quinoa , rinsed and drained (I used a combination of white and black quinoa)
- 1 cup Edamame Frozen , thawed
- ¼ cup Almonds Pepitas or Slivered
- 1 Beet medium size , peeled and grated
- 1 Carrot medium size , peeled and grated
- 1 Avocado , peeled, deseeded and diced
- 2 cups spinach Arugula Baby or , roughly chopped
- To taste Salt Pepper &
For the Dressing:
- 3 tbsps Apple cider Vinegar
- 2 tbsps Lime juice
- 2 tbsps Olive oil
- 1 tbsp Cilantro Mint or , finely chopped
- 2 tbsps Maple syrup Honey or
- ½ tsp Dijon Mustard
- Cook the quinoa: In a small saucepan, combine quinoa and of water. Bring to a boil, lower the heat, cover and cook for minutes or until all the water has evaporated and quinoa is tender. Fluff the quinoa and set aside to cool.
- Toast almonds or pepitas until slightly golden around the edges.
- To make the Dressing: Combine all the ingredients for dressing in a small bowl and whisk well.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine grated beets, carrot, toasted almonds/ pepitas, cooked edamame, chopped spinach/ arugula, avocado and cooked quinoa.
- Stir in the dressing and gently toss to combine everything. Season with salt and pepper. Serve right away!!